Traditional Carbonara has an egg and cheese sauce added to the spaghetti just before serving. I don’t care for eggs added to things at the last minute, so I eliminated the eggs and sauce and came up with my own version of Carbonara. I hope you’ll like it as much as we do.
Zucchini Spaghetti Carbonara ala Catherine
- 4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti (or you can use edamame spaghetti for a dish with more fiber in it)
- 2.5 ounce can of sliced black olives, drained
- 1 cup diced or chunked ham
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise and then thinly sliced
- ½ grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices thick bacon
- Divide bacon into 4 and 2 slices. Prepare 4 slices for microwaving by placing between 2 paper towels on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 3 minutes until crisp. Remove from paper while still warm and crumble.
- Dice remaining 2 slices and place in a large skillet, cooking until crisp.
- While bacon is cooking, boil water for spaghetti and cook as directed on package until pasta is firm. Drain fully when cooked.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté zucchini with diced bacon until zucchini is tender.
- Drain any excess liquid from the pan.
- Add olives and cooked drained spaghetti to zucchini and bacon, tossing to mix.
- Remove from heat and add parmesan cheese, tossing quickly to keep cheese from clumping.
- Top with crumbled bacon and serve.
Makes 2 generous main dish servings or 4 side dishes.
Note: additional cheese may be sprinkled on top of pasta after serving, if desired.
This dish makes up quick, so you won’t have time to read a book while it’s cooking, but after the dishes are done, check out Catherine’s sweet romantic comedy with a touch of drama, A Groom for Mama, on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.
A Groom for Mama
By Catherine Castle
Beverly Walters is dying, and before she goes she has one wish—to find a groom for her daughter. To get the deed done, Mama enlists the dating service of Jack Somerset, Allison’s former boyfriend.
The last thing corporate-climbing Allison wants is a husband. Furious with Mama’s meddling, and a bit more interested in Jack than she wants to admit, Allison agrees to the scheme as long as Mama promises to search for a cure for her terminal illness.
A cross-country trip from Nevada to Ohio ensues, with a string of disastrous dates along the way, as the trio hunts for treatment and A Groom For Mama.
About the Author:
Multi-award winning author Catherine Castle loves writing. Before beginning her career as a romance writer she worked part-time as a freelance writer. She has over 600 articles and photographs to her credit, under her real name, in the Christian and secular market. She also lays claim to over 300 internet articles written on a variety of subjects and several hundred poems. In addition to writing she loves reading, traveling, singing, theatre, quilting and gardening. She’s a passionate gardener whose garden won a “Best Hillside Garden” award from the local gardening club. She writes sweet and inspirational romances. You can find her award-winning Soul Mate books The Nun and the Narc and A Groom for Mama, on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.